In severe winter weather you may have problems travelling to school. It is important to balance your safety with your employer's right to expect you to attend work, but safety must always be the most important consideration. Members are advised to take the following steps:
- Make sure you have a copy of the Local Authority procedure for inclement weather and follow the advice in the document.
- Check the appropriate website for school closure advice.
- Listen to official advice about travel and assess the risks for you.
- If you are unable to use your usual form of transport contact the school, explain the situation and inform them that you intend to seek an alternative safe method of travel. (if necessary by leaving a message on the answering machine)
- If other methods of transport are impossible contact the school again and inform them you intend to travel to your local school if you live in the authority.
- If you live out ¬-with the authority seek advice on whether you should offer your services to the local school.
- If travel to a nearer school is also impossible inform the HT that you will work from home, and keep a record of work done.
- Contact the office at email@example.com or 0131 313 7300 for further advice