GTC Scotland is the independent professional body that maintains and enhances teaching standards and promotes and regulates the teaching profession in Scotland.
We are looking to appoint talented individuals, with appropriate skills and experience, to serve on our:
- Council (Lay Members)
- Adjudicating Panels (Registered Teacher and Lay members)
- Independent Appeals Board (Registered Teacher and Lay members)
You will have an important role in:
- influencing and making key decisions that will help shape the future of teaching and the teaching profession in Scotland;
- ensuring the maintenance of high standards in teaching and learning, and the protection of children and young people.
You will be an effective communicator, have sound judgement and decision making skills and be able to work successfully as part of a team.
- For a Lay Council member position, you must have experience in at least one of the following areas; governance, policy, professional development, finance, audit/risk management or legal work;
- For a Panel or Appeals Board position, it is desirable that you have contributed to the development of learning and teaching in Scotland and/or have some experience in relevant legal or tribunal or professional regulation work.
Appointment – 4 year term (Lay Council members have the option of a 2 or 4 year term)
Commitment – Lay Council members – up to 20 to 22 days per year
– Panel and Appeals Board members – from around 5 days per year
Compensation – Appointed members will be eligible to claim compensation payment of £75 for each half-day (up to 3.5 hours) for attendance. (This rate is currently under review).
– Reasonable expenses will be refunded
For further information and an application pack visit http://www.gtcs.org.uk/appointments or call 0131 314 6021.
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 30 September 2011.
Interviews will be held in Edinburgh from November to December 2011.
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community