Services to Members
Members who require advice should generally not contact with the School Representative. Unlike some other unions we do not use our representatives in this way. If the issue relates to locally negotiated conditions, the first point of contact should be with the District Secretary.
Most issues (especially disciplinary issues and grievance) require that contact is made with the General Secretary. The School Representative may advise on school based arrangements e.g. the Working Time Agreement.
Free legal advice and representation, whenever necessary, on all professional matters.
Advice is provided on:
- Contractual Duties
- Superannuation and Retirement
- Sickness Leave and Pay
- Maternity Leave and Pay
- Disciplinary Matters
- Health and Safety Matters
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Employment Rights
- Other Conditions of Service
- Workplace Bullying/Harassment
Automobile Association offers discount on annual direct debit or credit card payments.
Extended Legal service from Thompsons Solicitors – a one stop shop for all your legal needs.
- Free Legal Advice
- Accidents, Injuries and disease outside of work
- Road Traffic Service
- Discounted Rates for Family Law and Conveyancing Services
- Free Wills Scheme
- Fixed Rate Executry and Bereavement Service
Travel insurance: an extremely competitive rate has been negotiated with a leading broker which allows a member and family to travel both nationally and internationally for minimal cost;
Tollcross Garage – Car Purchase: a garage concession has arranged a scheme for SSTA members to purchase new or nearly-new cars at specially discounted prices; credit and trade-in facilities available.
Financial & insurance services
- Personal and vehicle insurance schemes
- Insurance discounts
- Debt management advice
Home and car insurance – The Association has teamed up with Aviva to offer you home and car insurance from the UK’s largest insurance company
Personal effects insurance scheme: limited insurance cover is available against theft, loss or damage of members’ personal effects whilst engaged in professional duties;
Malicious damage to motor vehicles: limited insurance cover is provided against damage through malicious intent to members’ vehicles while undertaking professional duties;
Personal Accident cover: A range of benefits for those involved in personal accidents at work.
- Free advice about sustainable debt solutions that help people manage their debt
- Free income & expenditure budgeting help
- Scottish debt solutions structured carefully around what a client can reasonably afford to pay
- An annual financial appraisal which provides, where appropriate, a budgeting review of clients’ current mortgage and insurance products for even better money management
Life assurance, savings, investments, pensions: by special arrangement a full range of financial services is provided for members by a leading company of independent financial advisers.
Benevolent fund: The Association maintains a Benevolent Fund which is used to assist members or their families in case of need.
These courses are offered exclusively by the SSTA though and independent financial advisor. The Courses are designed for members who are approaching retirement. Please contact the Headquarters for more information.